Sunday, March 09, 2008

It was just a feeling.

Something about the situation just wasn't right.

I was walking to my car in Wal-mart's parking lot today after church. Just as I was about to load my trunk, a large family got out of their truck. I only caught a glimpse of him in the corner of my eye, but something made me uneasy.

When I saw her, I was almost certain.

In less than a minute, I watched them walk away from the truck, his truck. He walked ahead of them. Her head hung down timidly. Her daughters and her sons looked down as they walked behind him.

A wave of fear and helplessness went through me.

Right there in Wal-mart's parking lot, I started to pray. I put the trunk's lid down and watched as this family walked slowly behind a man who scared me. I couldn't hear what he was saying, but he shook his finger at the woman (his wife?) and she continued to lower her head. All of them did.

Then they were gone, out of sight, into the store. I felt helpless, but what could I do? I really didn't see anything. I didn't even hear anything. It was just a feeling.

And thus, I write this post in hopes that someone out there will be helped. If you have just a feeling about a woman or child who may be being abused, visit this site to learn the warning signs.

If you are being abused, get help.

If you believe your computer activity is being watched, be careful in your search. Go to a friend's house or to a pay phone and call this number for help: 1-800-799-SAFE.

You don't deserve it. No one does.

4 comments:

PJ said...

I hate that helpless feeling. When I see a situation that I KNOW is wrong, but have not proof, nothing but intuition (or discernment). Praying with you for HER, whoever she is! And thanks for this post. We all need to be alert!

Anonymous said...

We have one of *those* men in our family. He uses the Bible to justify his behaviour. He's told his wife she's going to hell because she left him...God hates divorce apparently...worse than he hates people twisting His Word to make spousal abuse ok.
Praise God that after 21 years she found the courage to walk away. Thank you for sharing this on your blog...it may give someone the courage to say "No, it's not ok"
My blog is password protected...happy to pass on details if wanted :)

Roxanne said...

My gut hurts, and I wasn't even there. I hate it when that happens and there is NOTHING you can do. Then, again, you have--you (and now all of us) prayed for her, and you took the time to remind others that staying is not the only option.

mandy said...

this is a great post.... and i'm SO saddened that its necessary.

thank you for sharing this. reminding the world.