Friday, January 22, 2010

When all else fails, post a recipe.

The blog is starting to echo.

I sat down to write something and heard crickets chirping. I told Mama on the phone that in order to blog, you actually have to DO SOMETHING to blog about. Sorry, guys. I'm boring.

Truth is, I've been busy. I just haven't blogged any of the busyness. My in-laws and sweet niece were here for a visit and we had a blast.

While they were here I made a new potato soup recipe that turned out to be a hit. Daughter took a bite and said, "Is this a Paula Deen or a Melanie?"

I had to laugh. She knows me too well.

The recipe did start with a Paula recipe but then I added my own spin. The part I love is that it is made in the crockpot.

Pay no attention to the fat content. LALALALA...

Crockpot Potato Soup

1 32 oz. bag frozen hashbrowns
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped or thinly sliced carrots
3 cans chicken broth (I used leftover homemade stock)
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 TBS. butter (divided)
1 8 oz. block cream cheese, cubed

In saucepan, saute celery, onions and carrots in 1 Tbs. butter or olive oil until celery and onions are soft. Add hashbrowns, celery, onions, carrots, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and remaining butter to crock pot. Cook on low for 4-5 hours, until potatoes are tender. Add cream cheese; cook another 30 minutes or until cream cheese is melted and soup is thickened.

I also added some leftover mashed potatoes to the mixture to thicken it. With the homemade chicken stock, I did not need to add salt. If you use canned broth, be sure to salt and pepper to taste.

To make it extra yummy, add one cup of freshly grated mozarella cheese when you add the cream cheese.

Garnish with green onions or parsley.

YUM!

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

If you being boring brings about such a luscious recipe, then keep up the good work.

Carpool Queen said...

You may or may not be opening up new worlds to me. Who knew you could put cream cheese in a crockpot?

Melanie said...

That could be at my house:) Everything I make is like Paula Deen. Everything is better with butter, sour cream, or cream cheese. We southerners know how to put some fat in our food. Thanks for the recipe...I will be making this soon with all this cold wet weather we are having.

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe! We're supposed to get snow on Thursday, so I think I'll wait till then to try it, but I'm definitly gonna try it.

Susanne said...

Oh my, that sounds too delicious! Funny how anything with butter is now attributed to Paula. LOL.

Lottie Dah said...

OH. WOW. CREAM. CHEESE. in POTATO SOUP!!! will be adding this to my menu SOON!