Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Christmas in Februrary and Lid's Random Dozen

As usual, Linda does not disappoint.

1. Which physical trait do you now accept--maybe not love, but accept--and no longer feel extremely self-conscious about?

Oh, boy. I'm tougher on myself than I used to be, so this one is difficult. I guess I'll go with my feet. My big toe looks like it should be on a size 9 foot. The rest of my toes fit their size 6 1/2 surroundings. It's very circus-like.

It used to bother me a lot. Now I just throw on some flip flops and try not to trip over it.

2. This week Meredith Baxter Birney, best known as the mom on the favorite 80s sitcom "Family Ties" came out of the closet, which led me to formulate this question: Who do you think is/was the best TV mom?

I'd say the best TV mom was Mrs. Huxtable. She wasn't too soft (like Mrs. Brady) nor too hardened (Mrs. Bundy.)

3. Do you speak any foreign languages? Are there any you'd like to learn?

Some people consider Southern a foreign language, so I could technically say "yes" to this question. I'd love to learn Spanish. Two years in high school only helps me order at the Mexican restaurant.

4. Who is your personal hero?

I'm one of those odd people who does not really have a personal hero. I guess it is the cynic in me. I acknowledge a person's accomplishments and find them inspiring, but not quite to the hero level. Plus, people disappoint.

As a Christian, my real hero is Jesus. I know that's the Sunday School answer, but it's true. And He never disappoints.

5. What is one holiday food that you find extremely difficult to resist over- indulging in?

That bag of Reese's cups Hubs puts in my stocking each year. Yes, the BAG.

6. Tell me about a Christmas decoration that has special meaning or sentimental value.

We have a star tree topper made of cardboard and a paper towel paper tube, covered with glitter. My daughter made it when she was about 4 years old. I remember making it with her on our back porch, glitter everywhere (which is why we were on the porch.) It has lasted, amazingly, with the glitter still intact. Here's to spray adhesive!

7. How do you feel about snow?

I love to look at it. I like to sled in it. I don't like to get cold in it. I don't want to get stuck in it.

8. On average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Not that I'm jealous of any number over three or anything.

Seven. I'd prefer nine.

9. Tell me about your first crush.

Elementary school. His name was Paul and he gave me a Valentine. I nearly died.

He offered to give me a ride home on the handlebars of his bike. (You can't resist a man with wheels.) But then he realized where I lived and that he would be late getting home and didn't want his mom to yell at him (mama's boy.)

So I walked home as usual with the Valentine in my pocket. sighhh...


10. You're stuck in a room for 2 hours with only a chalkboard and chalk. What will you write/draw?

Some kind of tree. Then I'd erase it and practice my name. I'd erase that and doodle, wondering why someone had locked me in a room for 2 hours.

11. Do you dress for the current temp or for the day's forecast?

I dress for the current temp and prepare for the forecast. I bring a jacket or dress in layers. Here in New Mexico, you can have all 4 seasons in the same day. It's tough to decide.

12. Favorite Christmas movie is?

I think I've mentioned my deep fondness for A Christmas Story. Mama gave me the lamp Christmas ornament this year for my birthday.

Must be Italian.

Head over to Linda's blog for more good stuff.

Be sure to meet me at the Internet Cafe as I share a very special Christmas letter.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Ahhh snow, yes nice to watch big flakes fall from inside the house, through the windowpane. But the shoveling is a killer, here in Michigan.

As for A Christmas Story, we love that here, too. Every year, on several different occasions, someone in the family quotes something from the movie in reference to something that was just said or whatever. It's pretty funny- we know all the lines!

I'm glad to be back to reading blogs!

Angie said...

I love "Southern" as a language, isn't that the truth! I'm fluent in that one, but fight it often.

Your tree topper sounds lovely! :)

SnoWhite said...

I'm with you on Claire Huxtable!

Pam said...

Love the lamp! Fra-Jee-Lay! LOL

SouthLakesMom said...

Love the answer to #9 -- he liked you, but not enough to risk momma's ire...wow. Good lesson early in life! Makes me smile.

Susanne said...

Never thought of Southern as a language but you may be right.

Sweet story with the tree topper. And thanks for a great idea I can add to my Christmas crafts with the Dayhome kids.

Unknown said...

I love the title of your blog! So true....Yes, snow is pretty...but not too useful ;-)You're right...people definitely disappoint...but I still try to be optimistic for the most part!

Pat Thacker said...

Such a heart warming story thanks for sharing I truly enjoyed the read and "Merry Christmas" to you and your family.

Heckety said...

Christmas in February:
Thank you for that story and the insight following. Very important to remember to count my blessings all the year around. I don't know if its weird but I have the greatest difficulty believing that God loves me- the rest of the world no prob...need to be reminded that with God its upfront and PERSONAL!!