Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I never claimed to be Bill Gates or Thomas Edison.

There's one little bit of information I left out of last week's posts, the few that I wrote anyway.

Hubs was out of town.

You can understand why I almost always wait to tell you about Hubs' out-of-town events because, as my Mama and Granny would say, "there is meanness in this world."

Really, I don't believe that there are people out there who wait for Hubs to leave and then track my home down with the ISP address, but there's another thing I inherited from Granny (other than her tendency towards bunions) and that is paranoia.

In a completely healthy form.

My people lock their doors. They lock their windows. They pull the curtains to block out peeping toms. If my grandmother could have experienced the Internet, she would tell me to protect myself from the people who could possibly wait for Hubs to leave and then track my home with my ISP address. If she knew what an ISP address actually was.

So, Hubs came home on Saturday. He was here for only a few hours before we had to head out for a Christmas party. Before he even whined a little at the Christmas tie I picked out for him, he assessed my computer problems.

While he was gone, I emailed him about my potential computer tragedy.

I had been printing pictures for Christmas cards and decided to download some new pics from our camera. I plugged in the camera, pushed a few buttons, then the computer screen went dark. Every time I tried to turn on the computer, I could hear a hum, but nothing really happened.

SO.

When Hubs came home from his trip, he went into our computer room to assess the problem.

"What does it do?"

"Watch. Try to turn it on. Nothing happens. It's like it's trying to come on and never does."

After pushing the button and fiddling with the mouse to read the screen, Hubs immediately figured out the problem.

"It's not getting any power. Is it plugged in?"

He reached around the hard drive and saw that a cord had come loose.

"That's why it was going into power save. It was trying to save power because it didn't have any."

He plugged everything back in, and wouldn't you know it? The computer works just fine.

Electricity is amazing.

Tomorrow I am going to put in a cement pond.

6 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

"Always start at the wall."

That's what my annoying computer support person/Mr. CPQ says to me every time I call him, panicked at the slightest change in my screen.

I hate it when he's right.

Think we can get a bulk discount on the cement?

Amy said...

Whenever I have trouble I am so offended because the first question I am asked is "Is it plugged in?"

However, I am the girl who called AAA once because my car wouldn't start only to find out that it wasn't in park...That was embarrassing!!

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

This may even beat my recent touchpad lock problem/solution, LOL. At least YOU didn't email customer support.

Susanne said...

LOL to the post and Amy's comment. I can relate to both. I once call AMA because my car wouldn't go forward but would reverse. Well I had the parking brake on. I almost died when the tow truck guy told me. He was very gracious and wrote on the sheet that I needed a boost.

Anonymous said...

For me it was having someone look at my car when it was just out of gas.

Melanie said...

That is something that I would do:) I have a laptop (as does everyone in my house) and my computer is the only one that has to have the power cord pulled in. So much for having a laptop. My Dell battery is no good and it cost $190 and I just don't want to buy a new one. So, I lug around the cord and my husband makes fun of me. Glad you didn't have any major problems.