Monday, October 11, 2010

Someone would have found America anyway.

Over 500 years ago, the king and queen of Spain sent Christopher Columbus (an Italian) on an all-expenses paid trip to Asia.  In his quest for spices and treasures, he discovered America, but, technically he discovered what we now call The Caribbean.

Ironic, since I sit here typing this in the high plains of New Mexico instead of on a beach in The Bahamas.

Oh, those Spaniards and Italians and their twisted sense of humor.  The least Chris could have done was send me an Olive Garden.

But that's all I'm going to say about that.

Our weekend has been pretty boring.  Friday was a day off of school.  Daughter and I both slept late, then got dressed for a walk.  Along the way, she found some interesting items for the Odd Objects Jar, an old plastic gumball jar she and her friend, C. found.  They put odd items in it like bolts and grass and weeds and bottle caps.  On Friday, she found a huge straw on the side of the road.  Not the Sonic Route 44 kind, but much bigger.  This was the Golden Egg of odd objects.

On Saturday, after all my chores were halfway done, I went to Hobby Lobby and managed to walk out with less than a $20 purchase.  I had the car washed, and then came home to get ready for a baby shower.

The shower was for a sweet young woman from Bible study.  Nancy and I went to the shower together and it was one of the nicest showers I've attended. The hostesses were so gracious and the food was delicious. I have a sneaky suspicion that at least one of the hostesses is Southern, as evidenced by the deviled eggs, pretty tablecloth and dishes. 

Not that non-Southerners don't own pretty tablecloths and dishes and know how to make deviled eggs.  What are the odds of combining all three?

The hostesses also displayed the cutest little decoration that I am totally going to steal if I ever host a baby shower again.  (It doesn't look like any of my friends will be having a baby at our age, so I'll wait until one of them has a grandchild in about 15 years.)

Along the wall, the hostesses had created a little clothesline with coordinating onesies.  It was so sweet and simple and who would guess that a decoration could also double as a gift for the mom-to-be?! Genius!

It's here that I'll skip right to Sunday, because I pretty much came home after the shower and went to bed.  Nancy kept me out until the late, late hour of 8:00 PM.

Daughter and I stayed home from church because we both had a cough and sore throat.  (Not the same cough or throat, for you grammar snobs out there. Wink.)

Hers was worse than mine, so I managed to spend the day in yoga pants refilling drink glasses and coaxing down Children's Motrin.  Hubs went to the store for us and got all of the ingredients for Paula's chicken noodle soup.  (It was yummy!)

Today I feel a bit better, but Daughter is still not 100%. Drat, those allergies.  So, it looks like she'll miss out on all the Columbus Day events which we really don't have, but still.

However, if Columbus had brought over that Olive Garden, I could be enjoying an endless pasta bowl. Instead, I'm looking out my window at grasslands and cows with that grade school rhyme about the ocean blue in my head.

Rub it in.

3 comments:

sprymary said...

Wish I'd had that first paragraph when I was teaching Columbus' so-called "discovery of America" What a great introduction to awaken those sleeping students.

Carpool Queen said...

I think I'm only 2/3 Southern. I don't have a pretty tablecloth because that would be one more thing to wash.

Let's go for New Southern.

Anonymous said...

Columbus Day was spoiled a bit for me today when I taught my high schoolers about the Spanish Inquisition, which Ferdinand and Isabella began. I wondered, aloud, how such amazing people who funded exploration expeditions, could have been so cruel as to begin a movement that killed thousands of people.

My students reminded me that it was all about money (finding treasures).

What a rude awakening.

Hope you guys get to feeling better soon. Watch out for Strep. It's going around in all parts of the country.