Thursday, December 08, 2011

TV personalities stranded in the jungle would be happy to have this!

Yesterday I felt a little like Paula Deen and a little like a reject from Iron Chef America.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if they had an Iron Chef The South?  The secret ingredient is...water chestnuts!!

I was making a meal for a family who recently had a baby. I'd planned that menu and also needed to plan for my own family. Instead of having double dishes and trying to fit it all in the oven, I decided to put some chicken breasts in the crock pot for us.  I made extra rice and cooked some veggies on the stove. While I was out delivering the meal to the family, I had Hubs and Daughter watch the biscuits.  (Mary B's, not homemade.)

I returned and Hubs had taken the biscuits out of the oven.  We were fixing our plates and I told him the biscuits were Mary B's. 

"Oh," he said. 

He doesn't complain, but I could hear the disappointment in his voice. Mary can make some mean biscuits.  They are as close to homemade as you can find, but Hubs likes my biscuits.  For this dinner, I didn't have time to make some from scratch. 

Then we started dinner and I took a bite of my crock pot chicken.

"This is the most bland chicken I've ever made," I said.

Hubs and Daughter assured me it was fine and then I gave Daughter the go-ahead to get some ketchup from the frig.

Ketchup fixes everything.

I added some to my own plate and continued to eat the chicken. 

Then Hubs spoke up in an effort of encouragement. 

"If we were Survivorman, we'd be happy to have this," he said.

I put down my fork and laughed. 

"So, basically you are saying that the only way this would be good is if it we were starving and we had nothing else to eat," I said. 

"Ummmm..."

I ate my ketchup-covered chicken and continued to laugh knowing what he meant and that he was really trying to encourage me and also knowing that he was absolutely right.  Survivorman could eat it, but only if he had some ketchup.

Hubs ate his chicken, along with two of his frozen biscuits and thanked me (as he always does) for making it. This is why I love him.

That's when Daughter spoke up and said,"You should blog this."

And so I did.

(And if you've never had Mary B's biscuits, do try.  They are yummy. Unless your family members are experts in the homemade biscuit making circle, they will never know the difference.)

2 comments:

Susanne said...

A sense of humor goes a long way when it comes to those nights when it all goes downhill. That and a good bottle of ketchup, for sure!

Roxanne said...

It was hot. That counts.