Sunday, March 11, 2007

Medicare, Marmaduke, and Miatas.

I think I may have discovered a phenomenon.

I was out today running an errand and I saw an elderly lady walking her dog. The dog was a cute little pup, walking as fast as his little legs could carry him. This is when I realized something. The age of a person is reversely correlated to the size of their pet.

For example, when you are a kid you love puppies and all dogs, but what are the typical family dogs that Santa brings? Labs, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, and Rottweilers.

Yep. When you are a kid, your dog is big. Even our favorite cartoon dogs were big- Marmaduke and my personal favorite, Scoobie Doo. You can't get much bigger than a Great Dane!

So, there we are, growing up with this big dog. We throw the ball for him. We take him for walks. He pulls us over with the leash while lunging for a squirrel. Our dog is just one, big bundle of fun.

Then we leave home, get a job and our own apartment. They don't take big pets, so we get a medium sized dog like a beagle or a poodle, or a cute mutt from the pound.

Before we know it, we are retiring and moving off to Florida and our dog of choice is a Bichon Frise.

The opposite is true for the car we drive. As we age, the size of the car gets bigger. This has happened to me. My first car was a cute, sporty Toyota Paseo. I was so cool. Now I drive a Camry and our next vehicle will most likely be a mini-van.

What do old people drive? Cadillacs. Yes, the older you get, the larger your vehicle becomes. Why is this? Do we need the room? What are we hauling around besides our dentures and our depends?

I guess if I live to be 100, I'll be driving around in my RV with my tiny, tea cup Chihuahua in my lap, hanging his tiny tea cup tongue out the window.

Let the good times roll.

9 comments:

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

I've seen 'em, haven't you? Those Mamaws and Pawpaws parking their diesel-pusher motorcoaches at the WalMart and taking Killer the Teacup Pomeranian for his constitutional.

I hadn't thought about this particular law of inverse proportions, but I do think you're onto something.

Roxanne said...

Rather astute observation. . .are you always this smart or have you been sniffing the mushrooms again?

Big Mama said...

You forgot to point out that the key accessory in the old person Caddy is to have a box of kleenex stuck in the back window.

I don't know what it's for, since the driver can't reach it. Maybe it's to pick up Bichon Frise poop.

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

great post (and photo)

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Clemntine always cracks me up.

And yes, Big Mama, I totally forgot the Kleenex box! :>)

Susanne said...

Wow, you are observant aren't you?

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You are so right. My parents drive a Caddy. And, since I own a teeny tiny dog, what does that say about me????

Tracey said...

That is too funny! You're right and I love the observation.

I had a tiny sports car, then a convertible, now an SUV...and I'm only 40!

Just checkin' back in on you...

one southern girl to another!

Tracey

Tammy said...

Melanie, this cracks me up...partly because of your astute observations...and partly because of what I just wrote today! In other words, what my little tiny mom drove up here. :)