Thursday, May 17, 2007

This post could save your life, or just make you want a doughnut.

According to a recent news article, people in the South are more likely to have a stroke than folks in other regions of the US.

Go figure.

The article goes on to say (I shall paraphrase a bit) we Southerners are having strokes left and right because we are fat, lazy, uneducated, are smoking like chimney stacks and running up our blood sugar with all of those Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Now I know I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but don't insult my blood glucose levels. ;>)

Call it a hunch, but I'm thinking this high incidence of stroke may be related to all the meat we eat. You know, the meat that has been cooked in fat (which came from some other meat source). Never mind that we boil all of the nutrients out of our vegetables and season them with more meat (or just fat.) Even our bread has Crisco in it.

Rumor has it that somebody in Stark, Mississippi came up with a butter flavored ice cream.

OK. That last sentence? I made it up. Everybody knows that people from Mississippi don't eat butter flavored anything. They eat butter, not butter substitutes.

I do not mean to make light of the serious, life-threatening, debilitating medical condition known as stroke. Just consider this my silly attempt to get your attention. A healthy diet, exercise, and regular check-ups with your doctor are key to stroke prevention.

You should also know what to do if you or someone you love experiences a stroke. Time lost is brain lost.

So while you're sitting there at your computer eating your buttered biscuit and fried chicken, take a moment to read the warning signs of a stroke.

The information could save a life. That life could be yours.

2 comments:

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

I take many things about my Southern heritage seriously, but my eating habits have evolved. My mom is the best Southern cook in the whole world, or at least other than Paula Deen, BUT I tire of this food in about three days. After I've polished off homeade biscuits(with butter, duh), bacon, fried eggs, chicken salad with Hellman's mayonnaise, Fritos, sweet tea, pound cake, green beans cooked for 7 hours, hashbrown casserole, pork chops, Sister's rolls (with butter, duh), ice cream pie, etc., etc. I am DYING for some Thai spring rolls or steamed sugar snap peas or a salad....JUST a salad, without bacon bits and cheese! She thinks we are total weirdos in the food department.

How I ever left home without weighing 250 pounds is beyond me. From the time I tell Mom I'm coming for a visit, she starts asking me about what I want to eat.

That said, there really is no substitute for butter. It's totally worth saving up my WW points to put it on a healthy muffin or waffle. :)

AbbieCRAZY said...

I have to laugh because I just finished my Chick-Fil-A chichen biscuit! You're right, of course, I'm going for a walk now....