Sunday, March 23, 2008

An Egg-cellent Point

Happy Easter, y'all! I don't know about you, but it is only 2:00 and I am already tired.

I got up a little early this morning to put my chicken in the crock pot. We are having chicken and dressing for our Easter dinner. I realize that it is a little outside the traditional realm of ham, but I figure, hey, the chicken will go with all the eggs.

Thankfully, hubs made the cornbread for me yesterday while I was out taking our daughter to a birthday party. He boiled eggs for us, too. So now I am just waiting on the dressing to bake, the fordhook lima beans to get tender, and the corn, well it can just simmer.

Did you notice that menu? Starch. It does a body good.

This morning in Sunday School I had some precious children. Between gluing and having snack, we talked about the real reason we celebrate Easter. At one point, I used the Resurrection Eggs to demonstrate the story. (If you aren't familiar, you should try these. They are a wonderful teaching tool.)

Each egg holds something significant inside that helps tell the Easter story. For example, you start out with the donkey that Jesus rode on as He entered Jerusalem.

I asked, "Who rode the donkey?"

"A cowboy!!", a little boy said.

"No, Jesus rode the donkey," I said without giggling.

I came to the egg that holds the cloth napkin and explained that Jesus was wrapped in cloth when they buried Him.

"We have those at my house," one little girl said.

I continued the story showing the cross, the crown of thorns, and so on.

When I got to the very last egg, it was empty, symbolizing the empty tomb.

I asked them, "Why would this egg be empty?"

One little boy proudly proclaimed,"Because He egg-xited."

"You're right," I said,"He did."

And, praise God for that!

Happy Resurrection Day, friends!



3 comments:

Jeanne robinson said...

Happy Easter Hope you all a good one. See you this week. Love jeanne

Susanne said...

Love that!

Happy Easter to you and your family!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Starch--snort! Very sweet. It is wonderful when regular church go-ers serve like you did on holidays. That's faithful service. Have a great week ahead.