Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Random Dozen Meme with Lid

Linda rocks. I am loving her Random Dozen Memes each week. She is THE LID.

So, here are this week's questions.

1. Tell me the absolute best way to watch a movie.

For me, it depends. If it is a cool special effects movie, it has to be in a great theatre. If it is a love story, I like to watch it on DVD on a rainy day curled up on the couch. If it is a comedy, it doesn't matter, as long as I can watch it with Hubs. We have the same sense of humor and laugh at obscure lines and scenes. In other words, he's weird like me.

2. Do you ever think about your own funeral? If so, do you have specific ideas about how you would like it to be?

Yes. I have written instructions for Hubs about flowers, songs, what to do, not to do, etc. I've also told him that I'll haunt him if he doesn't send thank you notes for the flowers and food. Not that I believe in any of that. I just like to bug him while I'm still alive.

3. Are you more of a giver or a taker?

I enjoy being a giver. Really, I do. I love to buy gifts and wrap them nicely at Christmas. I especially love trying to make a birthday special for someone.


4. Vacations: planned activities and schedules, or play it by ear?

Planned. For. Sure. I don't like surprises. They stress me out.

However, even though I like a plan, I don't want to have to stick to it. If something comes along that is better or if there isn't enough time in the vacation schedule to do something, I like to be flexible. Doing something on the agenda just for the sake of checking it off the list makes me nuts. (One reason I don't like lists.)

So, in the schedule/agenda area, our family is not Griswald. At least not in THAT area.

5. What is one often overlooked item in your home that needs to be cleaned regularly?

Only one???

I never clean the oven. Ever. There. I said it.

I clean the door and the racks when something drips but then I have the "oh, it will just burn off" mindset about the bottom of the oven.

6. Name a cause that means a lot to you.


I have a few.

Compassion International

Angel Tree (Prison Fellowship)

Southern Baptist Disaster Relief

The Red Cross


I've seen the last two work together providing help after a hurricane. It was amazing. Hat tip to the disaster teams of the United Methodist Church as well.

7. Do you eat a regular old peanut butter jelly sandwich, or do you customize it? And by the way, jelly or no jelly?

The peanut butter must be Peter Pan and the jelly must be strawberry preserves which isn't really jelly, I suppose. I have to mix my peanut butter and jelly in a bowl first. I mix in a little extra, then put it on the bread (preferably Bunny bread!) I eat the little extra off the spoon, then remove the crust from the sandwich. I've eaten it this way since I was a kid. Just ask my mama.

I'm not at all picky.


8. If we were having a conversation in person, how would I know if you were nervous?


My neck turns red. But it also turns red when I've had caffeine or for no reason at all, so really I could bluff and you'd never know.


9. Do you have an elaborate bedtime routine, or just the basics of toothbrushing and jammies?


Not really. Besides the usual, I do wash my face with Noxema. I love the smell of Noxema.


10. Have you ever regretted something you wrote on your blog?


Yes. I've shared some political views mixed with sarcasm and they were taken out of context. This is what happens with the written word.


11. Has anyone ever told you that you look like a famous person or celebrity? Did you agree?


When I was in nursing school, we were doing our psych clinicals and one of the psych techs said I looked like someone on Matlock. He couldn't remember her name. It turned out to be Linda Purl. Every clinical after that he called me "Matlock" and all my nursing student friends thought it was a riot. They started calling me Matlock, too and the name stuck.

During a completely different clinical on a surgical floor, a patient told me the same thing. (That I looked like Linda Purl, not Matlock.) I think it was the hair and my choice of make-up at the time. I took it as a compliment.


That was years ago. Now I look more like Minnie Pearl.


12. If you were going to dedicate a song to a loved one or friend, what would the song be and to whom would it be dedicated?


I've always wanted to dedicate the song "You're So Vain" to someone because the irony and humor would be classic.


I bet you think this song is about you.
Don't you?
Don't you?

Pure. Gold.

How-DEE!

See The Lid for more great answers and wish her well as "Catcher."

8 comments:

The Bug said...

You're a nut! I loved the description of your PB&J routine.

SouthLakesMom said...

Good thing you're not picky! What a great routine.

I love the song too -- there are a few people I've know who personified that song! On occasion, I've been one too!

Yep, political stuff can get pretty sticky on a blog. I try to remember the thumper rule (If you can't say nuthin' nice...) It doesn't always stop me before I hit "POST" but it usually sends me to "DELETE" before it gets too far.

Heidi said...

You are the first person I've heard of who mixes the peanut butter with the jelly in a bowl first. That's a good one.

I might have to try that.

Mocha with Linda said...

Mercy! I always thought PB&J's were supposed to be the easy lunch! LOL

I always liked Linda Purl. And Matlock.

And #12 cracks me up.

Carpool Queen said...

I am a strawberry jelly girl on the old PB&J myself.

I knew you wuz good people.

PS - My daddy works with the SB Disaster Relief, so it makes me happy that you love them, too.

Susanne said...

Well, Matlock, you're a riot. I highly doubt that you could go from Linda Purl to Minnie Pearl. I used to love Linda Purl when I was teen, btw. She was my favorite actress. I thought she was gorgeous.

Shannon said...

#7 makes me laugh out loud. I'm not at all picky about my PB&J, but if I explained all the hoops I jump through for a glass of iced tea, you wouldn't even believe me.

Deven said...

Love Matlock and Minnie Pearl.