Monday, May 10, 2010

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

Daughter and I drove to Lubbock today to escape SmallTown. The peach milkshake at Chick-Fil-A has been calling our names for weeks and it was high time we answered.

Two words about Lubbock.

The Loop.

The loop is a bypass built by nearsighted engineers who decided it would be fun to scare out-of-town drivers. Rumor has it that the locals stay off the loop because it is easier to get around town. I still have not been able to navigate around town, but today was the day I got motivated to learn.

Once you are on the loop, you have no idea which direction you are going. I have a keen sense of direction and, for me, it's like putting a feed sack over my head, spinning me around, and then asking me to pin something on a donkey. Yes, it is exactly like that. You go in circles and the whole thing makes you dizzy.

Getting on and off the loop is a whole 'nother issue. It seems that these same engineers decided it would be fun to design off ramps that you exit before you arrive at the actual road. When I want to get to Quaker, I exit at Indiana. When I want to get to Indiana, I exit in New Mexico. Oh, I kid. Sort of.

Then there's the Marsha Sharp Freeway. I had no idea who Ms. Sharp was until I Googled it. I began to imagine that she was a crazed, old woman who liked to scare small children or the mothers of small children, because that is exactly what the freeway honoring her memory does.

As it turns out, she was some kind of coach at Texas Tech and I am sure she was a lovely woman. However, this should be a lesson to us all not to let any nearsighted engineers build a road after us.

Once I am on the Marsha Sharp, I am fine. Getting there is the issue. Depending on which way I'm traveling on The Loop, I have to remember which way to exit to head in the right direction on the Marsha.

At first, I exited one way, then wound up the opposite direction. I turned around, headed back, passed a million construction barrels, and pressed on.

You see, desperate times force us to face our most dreadful fears. I faced down the Marsha with one destination in mind- New Target.

If I'm going to drive for hours through cow country and dust storms, I'm not going to any old Target. Only the new one will do. Oh, you could try to tell me that the old Target has all the same things that the new one has, but I beg to differ, friend. The new one is fresher, nicer, and it has Starbucks.

So, I conquered The Loop and The Marsha. No fear prevented this mama from finding cute flip flops attached with elastic string, Archer Farms snacks, and Circo t-shirts.

I'm wearing my seat belt and I've got my GPS on.

Bring it, nearsighted engineers.

No Fear.

6 comments:

Laura said...

This whole post made me glad I work next to chick fil a, and live next to a target, and pass 4 starbucks on my way to work.

Roxanne said...

You tell 'em, girl. Glad you got Chik Fil A, Starbucks, AND a new Target all in one day.

Carpool Queen said...

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor fear of Marsha will keep you from your appointed rounds.

Anonymous said...

You have just described the reasons I do all my escapism in Amarillo!

Laney said...

I miss Chick-Fil-A. They are not as prolific here as they are in the south. We have one that is about 30 miles away.

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

funny. I don't take Marsha Sharp. I go to that next spur road. I did take MSF on Tues. coming from Texas Tech. It's a super nice road. I might try it next time, which may be next week. Want to go?