Sunday, June 25, 2006

Make Me Over

Lately I have been having a problem with contentment. Not thankfulness, just contentment. But I am learning that discontentment and ungratefulness are very interrelated. Maybe even one in the same.

I am not even content with the template of this blog. You aren't seeing things. It has changed colors several times. Mostly because I get bored with the same ole thing. But, let's face it, I have only been on here for a whole week!

Today was Sunday, church day for our family. This morning while I was getting ready I started thinking about this whole contentment thing. Ladies, we have got to learn. Satan is just after us all the time in this area. We get so wrapped up in "improving" ourselves, our homes, our "things", that we forget that we are to be content with what we have been given already. Even joyful!

Now, I do believe that God wants us to grow and to prosper. But I think we have clung to that popular verse as an excuse to want, even "need" things. God does want us to have "the desires of our heart" (Psalms 37:4), but in His Plan and in His Time.

I am sharing this with you from my heart. I truly believe that we women are so often deceived by the world and we don't even know it.

For example, let's just think about what is on TV. (I am not blaming television for all the wrongs of this world. I can easily turn it off, cancel cable, or just get rid of the TV completely!) But, I don't. I watch it. I heard someone joke once that she had stopped watching all of the filth on TV and just stuck with HGTV. Then she realized that all of the home improvement shows just tempted her to covet! She was kidding. But, think about it. Whether it is a show that improves a room, an entire house, or a person's hair and wardrobe, we are allowing these images to influence our thoughts.

What we are really saying to God is this- "What you have given me isn't good enough."

I say "we" because I am guilty too.

This takes me back to contentment. I am not just encouraged, but commanded to be content. (Hebrews 13:5) And "contentment with godliness is great gain" (1 Tim. 5: 6-7) But, it is the writings of Paul to the church at Philippi that truly encourages me. Even Paul had to learn to be contented. So, I know there is hope for me! Praise God!

Paul writes- "...For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil. 4:11

Yeah!! That means, no-matter-what-state-I-am-in, depressed, anxious, fat, skinny, poor, or just crazy, that I can learn to be content. But, here is the clincher, I can't depend on myself. I have to depend on the awesome presence of Jesus in my life. Thank God that He wants to take the time to work on this poor lump of clay called me!

So, this is my post for today. A little more on the serious side. But it was on my heart. And I just wanted to share. I hope that today is a day of contentment for you!

Post script to "Hello, Newman"- I have decided to take some homemade goodies to my local postal office workers. :>)))

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Melanie - thank you so much for your post. I found you through Nancy who I am doing a bible study with online. This past spring, I struggled with these exact issues. I was not satisfied with life even though I had been given so much. Thank you for reminding us that we have so much to be thankful for.

And... thank you so much for posting the verse: "...For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil. 4:11. I don't know that I have ever read that verse... or at least, it has never jumped out at me. But it jumped out at me today and I'm going to pray over it so that I will be able to say those same words as Paul.