Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Journey

I was sitting here thinking about how stressful I can get this time of year.

Last minute shopping, wrapping, planning meals, cleaning the house, and all the regular household duties that we do year round.

Then I thought about what Mary was doing and thinking and feeling over two thousand years ago. My stress is nothing compared to what she endured. She traveled for miles across rough terrain, anxious and uncertain, knowing that the time was very near for her baby to be born.

It makes my few minutes waiting in line at Walmart so unimportant.

But, in a way, she and I do have something in common. We anticipate the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. Full of hope, she waited for him to be born and full of hope, I look forward to celebrating that glorious birth.

So, if I'm not around in the next few days, you'll know why. I won't be on a donkey, crossing mountains under a night sky, but I am decidedly enjoying the journey to Bethlehem.

Merry Christmas, friends.

3 comments:

Susanne said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family Melanie!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Sending Christmas love across many, many miles.

Shannon said...

Merry Christmas, m'dear.