Wednesday, July 15, 2009

So, it started out on a good note.

My day started with a wake-up call from the front desk.

"Good morning. Yes, it is too early. Get up anyway. You have a flight to catch."

After a hearty breakfast of Robust coffee, doughnuts, frozen biscuits and canned gravy, Daughter and I caught the shuttle to Hotlanta Airport (my nemesis.)

This is where I have to insert my dislike for Hartsfield. There are too many people, it is too big, I hate that train with the scary doors, and did I mention there are too many people?

The shuttle driver popped in a CD and I knew we were buds. Phil Collins began to sing In The Air Tonight and I looked at my watch, wondering how long the ride to the airport would be. I didn't want to miss the drum solo.

Turns out, I got to listen to the entire song. I played the solo on my cute Target purse and mouthed the words like a total goober.

That was the high point of the trip.

We checked in, squeezed past security (kidding), and boarded without incident. I was totally impressed with my travel expertise. I even managed to get better seats than the ones originally reserved.

Arrived in Dallas.


"Now boarding, Flight Number Somethingorother... I'm sorry... there's a problem... this flight has been delayed for maintenance."

The delay turned into an aircraft change and a complete gate change. We waited until finally (over an hour later) we boarded our plane. When we did arrive at our final destination, there was no gate available.

So we sat there on the tarmac and watched out the windows like puppies at the pound waiting for someone to adopt them. We pressed our noses to the glass for what felt like a sweet forever until finally they let us out of our winged cage.

WHEW. Nightmare over.

Not really.

Guess which puppy didn't get her luggage.

Now I wait at home for a phone call or a knock on the door, hoping to talk to someone from the airlines who has my little red suitcase with all of my make-up in it.

Keep your fingers crossed, would ya?

On a different note, Maggie is home from the kennel and they said she was SWEET.

I KNOW! More on this tomorrow.


Kimberly said...

Ugh, the very reason I hate to fly!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Oh how I hate that Atlanta airport, too! I am pretty close to it, so that means you have to fly through it to get anywhere. At one point in time- when I traveled a lot for my job- I knew what restaurants/ stores were in each lettered terminal. I still know that Chic-fil-A is in terminal A... at least I remember the important stuff, right?

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

So you decided to write what would be a script for one of my nightmares, eh? Seriously, this kind of stuff is what makes me hate flying.

Roxanne said...

I was gone for two weeks pretty much straight, so I missed your blog and have been trying to catch up. . .and low and behold if I've not been totally floored by the fact that Maggie was "sweet." Seriously??? Maybe they just know how to man handle her in the southwest. . .or maybe the dry climate agrees with her. . .or maybe she was the only cat there and was treated like the queen she is. That is an amazement.

Did you ever get your luggage?