Friday, September 19, 2008

Mr. Poe, I've got one for ya.

So, I'm sitting here this morning watching Regis and Kelly, sipping on my coffee, and catching up on blogging.

I hear a squawk coming from the back porch.

Then a screech and another squawk. It is obvious that there are at least two birds back there so I tip toe to the back door for a peek.

Two crows were perched on my daughter's play set squawking at their friend on the fence. One other unknown bird was on the glider on the porch and another (maybe his cousin?) was resting nicely on the patio table. Goodness knows what else he was doing on the patio table.

None of them saw me. They just made themselves right at home.

Meanwhile, Maggie the Lame is sleeping peacefully on the couch, completely oblivious to any crow or other unidentified bird out back.

That forty bucks we wasted at the Humane Society? Best money we ever spent.

So now I don't know what I am supposed to do- buy a new bird feeder or a scarecrow.

Either way, I get the feeling, they'll all be back.

Yeah, this ain't New York.

2 comments:

Karen said...

My dad used to shoot the squirrels that raided the birdfeeders with u-shaped staples shot from a rubber band out the window. It was enough to sting, but not enough to actually hurt them.

I loved the snake story - we have lots of snakes here in VA - black snakes and copperheads - but we don't have mice, so I'll keep the snakes.

Susanne said...

"Maggie the lame" LOL.