Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Works for Me: Keeping Gravy Hot

I just learned about this tip this week while watching Alton Brown on Food Network. That Alton is a genius.

You know how you always have to make the gravy for Thanksgiving (or any other meal with gravy!) near the end of your cooking time so that the gravy will stay hot? Then, you have to simmer it on low to keep it warm without scorching it and rush to get the food on the table?

Well, no more.

Alton suggested making the gravy whenever it is convenient during your food prep time, make sure it is hot, then pour the gravy into a Thermos until you are ready to serve it in Grandma's gravy boat. The gravy will stay hot enough for a good while and you will be free to cook something else.

Or, hey! Take a break and watch the parade!

For more tips, see Shannon.

5 comments:

Kate said...

That Alton sure is a genius! This is a fantastic tip. I'm going to do this from now on.

Thia said...

Good idea. When I read the title, I thought you were going to say use a small crock pot. I may try that this year since I have one already.

LauraLee Shaw said...

whap myself up side the head. Now why haven't I ever thought of that? Great idea!

Also, Melanie, thank you for encouraging me at the cafe yesterday with your comment. I love being a part of the team with you.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

What a great tip. I could not agree more that Alton Brown is nothing short of a food genius. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely be implementing this at my Thanksgiving table in just a few short weeks.

I must admit that I have always fantasized about living in the south and how lovely it must be. After reading your profile, I must know, does life move at a slower pace? I am interested in whether my daydreams match reality.

Raise Them Up said...

Wow! What a great idea! I got one of those for a wedding gift, but after a cross country move, I can't for the life of me think where I could have stashed it.

You can believe I'll be looking for it, though.

. . . maybe the cabinet over the fridge . . .Thanks for the great tip!