Monday, October 26, 2009

Adventures in Mailing

I have really adjusted a lot since moving to SmallTown.

No water within, I don't know, maybe two time zones. (Kidding. Sort of.)

No Starbucks. No Target.

And I have to mail packages via the US Postal Service.

Gasp

For some reason, the Postal Service is able to get packages to my family and friends in the South much quicker than UPS, and vice versa.

I know. It's remarkable.

If I am not under a time crunch, I use UPS. If the package contents are valuable, I always use UPS. (Did I just imply that I am sometimes cheap?)

However, I am usually late getting things in the mail, especially for holidays, so I end up going to the Post Office. (Right after I pop a nerve pill.)

My family sends packages via the Postal Service as well. In fact, my sister-in-law mailed a package the other day and the post office automatically sent me an email.

At first I was impressed. Maybe Newman has turned over a new leaf, or bag of chips, or whatever.

I highlighted the tracking number, went to the website and tracked my package. The following message popped up:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on October 23, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Literal Translation:

On October 23, someone told the post office that they may mail your package. This does not necessarily mean that the post office received the package or that the person who knows you actually mailed anything to you. Information will be provided if or when we have any information at all. (Which is stretching a bit because we aren't even sure we have a package for you.) If we ever know anything, we may post it here some time during the day between our breaks. Check back later.

When I do receive something, assuming that I should expect anything, I plan to send the following message to the post office.

Dear Post Office Person,

This is to inform you that I received the package that you are not sure you shipped or delivered. It got here on time, even though you don't know when it left or where it went.

Please do not work for the new Universal Health Care System.

Thankyouverymuch,
Melanie

2 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I only use FedEx at Christmas when I'm sending all the gifts on the 23rd because I waited until the last minute to go shopping.

And have you stood in line recently at the post office and noticed all the new questions they ask? "Would you like stamps? Your oil changed? How about some highlights while you're at it?"

Susanne said...

You crack me up. I don't mail a whole lot of packages but here it seems to go okay. Where I always get hung up, whether someone is recieving something from me or I am waiting for something is the customs between U.S. and Canada. And when I'm recieving something, it galls me that they charge me extra at the door on top of everything.