Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Random Dozen 8

I look forward to these each week. Thanks, Linda!

1. Candy corn: Your thoughts?

I love candy corn. I don't care for the little candy pumpkins. I have no idea why.

I was watching O'Reilly last night and saw an email from a viewer which said that if you eat candy corn and peanuts together it tastes just like a Snickers bar. Bill said he would just buy a Snickers bar, but I had to try it out. We just happen to have candy corn and peanuts, so I went to the pantry.

Guess what. The viewer was right. And if you really want to make it taste like a Snickers, add a few semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pop a handful of the mix in your mouth, close your eyes, and pretend.

Leave a comment if you ran to your pantry to try it.

You can thank me later.

2. Briefly, what was the first conversation you ever had with your spouse? (or best friend, if you're not married.) (Or someone significant, like your librarian.)

Hubs and I were in a class together in college. He had caught my eye for some time, but I was too shy to talk to him.

I was on the drill team/dance line in our college marching band. I saw Hubs in the stands as we were also seated in the stands before and after halftime. Week after week, Saturday after Saturday, I saw Hubs in the stands. Week after week in class I said nothing.

Finally, the week after our Halloween halftime show, I decided I'd use the football game connection to strike up a conversation after class. I got up the nerve and the conversation went something like this.

Me- I saw you at the football game last Saturday. I'm in the band, on the dance line.

Hubs- Oh, yeah? I think I remember you. You were in purple, right?

Me- No, I was in red and white.

Hubs- Oh, I don't remember you.

Me- sound of heart breaking

It still landed me an invitation to his Halloween party and the rest is history.

3. Could you ever become a vegetarian?

No. I have too much Southern running through my veins. We even put meat on our salad. Who do you think invented bacon bits?

4. Have you ever dressed up your pet in a costume?

Miss Congeniality does not do costumes.

5. Name something about childhood that you miss (like Clark Bars, Teaberry Gum, Malibu Barbie, cracking fake eggs on people's heads with your fist and "It's the Great Pumpkin" airing only once a year).

Footy pajamas, being goofy and no one cares, the Nestea Plunge commercials, Marco Polo at the community pool

Community pools that aren't scary
.

6. Have you ever won a trophy? If not, what do you deserve a trophy for?

I won a trophy in the school talent show after performing a very amateur ballet routine in the second grade.

The year before I told Mama that I wanted to be in the talent show, but she encouraged me to wait another year. She thought I "wasn't really ready." The truth is that she was sparing me from embarrassment.

Maybe it was because of my talent idea. I wanted to snap my fingers to Yankee Doodle.

That's a good mama.


Other than that, I have won ribbons for nerdy things like science projects and homemade scarecrows.

Our drill team won trophies in high school but the trophy went into a case next to the cafeteria for the principal to show off to his principal friends.

I never understood why the school trophies were near the cafeteria. To inspire the lunch lady to improve her sloppy joes, I guess.

7. When do you think is the appropriate time to begin playing Christmas music each year?

After the turkey is out of the oven. Not a moment sooner.

8. What's your favorite board game?

Right now we are loving Sorry. I mostly love it because we ring a bell and say Sorrrryy like Ed and Eunice.

9. How do you feel about surprises (receiving, not giving)?

I like surprise gifts, but not events. I love trying to surprise other people.

Although, surprising Hubs is impossible. If I ever want to give him a surprise party, I'd have to hire a SWAT team to help me.

10. Is it easy for you to say, "I'm sorry?"

I am truly sorry but I have a hard time expressing it. I am also overwhelmed with guilt when I have wronged a person.

Maybe I should start ringing a bell.

11. What is your favorite candle scent?

Anything that involves apples and spices. I also like vanilla combos.

We're talking about candles, right?

12. October is traditionally "open house" time in public schools. If you had a literal open house in your home (like a reception) what light snacks would you serve visitors and what would you show them (as in art projects, graded papers) that would uniquely represent you?

Since it's in October, I would serve cider and coffee.

The rest of the menu-

spinach artichoke dip

my new Snickers bar snack mix

meatballs or lil' smokies for my daughter

cheeses, fruits

What I would show-

Now that I've written this post, I'd have to dig out my old, plastic talent show trophy and a photo of me on the college dance line in the red and white outfit (not purple.) Don't you love how Linda always ties these together?

For added entertainment, the first ten guests who arrive also get to enjoy my snapping performance of Yankee Doodle.


It goes nicely with the Faux Snickers Snack Mix.

16 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Your answers made me laugh out loud. Loved the one about the bacon bits on the salad. Amen, sister!

And the trophies by the cafeteria. Too funny!

Jean said...

I love Mama's family and I really love Carol Burnett. I must now hit YouTube and watch the Sorry clip for the millionth time.

Michelle said...

well, i'm not running to the pantry (because its empty) but i will be picking up mini choc chips to go in our mix of peanuts and candy corn!

Amy said...

I didn't run to the pantry 'cause I have banned the candy corn from the house...because I know myself all too well and it wouldn't be a pretty sight. I have lived in Arkansas and their veggies aren't even vegetarian cause of all the bacon fat they fry them in...mmmmm.

I was just talking to the secretary at my school about footy pjs. We loved them when we went to bed but by the middle of the night when our feet were sweating we couldn't get them off fast enough...ha ha!!

Loved your answers thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

I am SO trying the peanuts and candy corn, but I have to go to the store first.

Joyce said...

The bacon bits 'bit' was too funny.

And I would definitely be one of the first ten to arrive...I wouldn't want to miss the Yankee Doodle snapping performance : )

Susanne said...

I just had a vivid vision on you trying to put a princess outfit on Maggie. It wasn't pretty but it made me laugh out loud.

Meat on salad. Yup. I'm with ya. I must be southern at heart.

Melanie said...

I think I am the only one that doesn't like candy corns. That is funny that you went and tried what the emailer suggested and it tasted like a Snickers.

I am with you on being southern and the meat comment:) We could NEVER give up meat in out household.

Carpool Queen said...

#1 - Because the pumpkins are too fat and you get overwhelmed with the butterscotchy taste. A hint, a HINT, is all one should get with the sugar rush.

#7 - Amen, sister. Let's have our holidays in order, please.

Robin Lambright said...

Wow! I haven't thought about Ed and Eunice in forever. Loved them and I so remember that episode!

Great menu for the open house, yum!!!

Random dozen is too fun!

Blessings
Robin

Heidi said...

Laughed at the Ed and Eunice one and laughed at that episode every time too. Love that bell ringing Sorry. Ha!

KD said...

Loved your answers. I have eaten candy corn and peanuts together and thought they reminded me of something...I guess I was missing the connection because of the lack of chocolate? :D Thanks

bethtrue said...

You are so funny - faux snickers snack mix - I love it and am definitely going to try it as soon as I pick up some candy corns. :-)

Jerralea said...

I loved your answers, and you're right a true Southerner could never be a vegetarian!

I never thought of putting choc. chips with carmel corn and peanuts, but I definitely will try it! And I'm like you -- candy corn is good, but those pumpkins - blech.

Kim said...

hahaha you are a funny girl! enjoyed reading your answers to the questions! Will have to try the candy corn and peanuts trick if I can find candy corn. Not sure it's made its way south of the border yet.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Who knew you'd garner so much commentative pleasure from candy corn and peanuts???

Which by the way, they remind me of a PayDay candy bar, which I love!!...however, to kick it up a notch, why not add in the choc. for a snickers rush! Great idea, thanks for passing it along.

I, too, laughed out loud and loved your list....especially as a Southern gal myself, I understood completely much of your thoughts.