Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Random Dozen: Grouper and Little Debbies


1. What was the last song you listened to?


Last night I listened to Wild Horses by Susan Boyle online. I'm asking for her CD for Christmas.

2. Have you ever had “buyer’s remorse” over anything?


In the literal sense, those MC Hammer pants I bought freshman year in college.


It is never Hammer time.

3. What is something in your life that you are thankful for now that you didn’t think you would be at the time of the event? (Something that seemed ill-timed, inconvenient or hurtful which turned out to be a good thing)


We moved somewhere and I kicked and screamed the whole way. I ended up having one of the best doctors to take care of me during my pregnancy.

4. Do you watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade every year? If so, do you have a favorite float or balloon?

Yes!


I love the Rockettes. I wanted to be a Rockette as a child.


Alas, I am too short. Plus I can't dance.

5. Share a quote, scripture, poem or lyric which has been an inspiration to you lately.


The quote on my Mary Engelbreit calendar for this month-


"Must. Change. Attitude."


That is totally me.

6. This is meant to be a fun question, and this is a G-rated blog, but please share a “guilty pleasure,” something that you enjoy that’s probably not the most edifying, time-worthy or healthy thing you could be indulging in. Did I mention--G rating?


I watch Roseanne. Hubs doesn't get it. He is so shocked that the show makes me laugh.


That family puts the fun in dysfunction. I'm just glad they don't live next door.

7. What Thanksgiving food are you looking forward to?


Homemade dressing.


Not stuffing.


Dressing.


Made with homemade cornbread and homemade chicken stock and homemade celery... okay. You get the picture.

8. What is your favorite book to read to children, or what was your favorite childhood book?


The Little Red Hen. My poor daddy probably memorized it. I loved it.


It makes me chuckle that the Hen totally told everyone what she thought about their attempt at freeloading. The funny part is that I got that as a little kid. I was a weird kid who understood adult concepts.

9. Do you collect anything? (Feel free to post a photo.)

I collect porcelain dolls. On top of them, is my collection of dust.


It is not really hip to collect dolls. People think that if you collect dolls that you also put out fresh doilies when company comes over.


My doilies are all packed away with the Precious Moments figurines, thank you.

10. Gift bags or wrapping paper?

It depends. If it is a kid's birthday party, gift bag! Gift bags have become the answer to shorter kids' birthday parties.

Sometimes I like to wrap some really special gifts in wrapping paper with a nice ribbon or bow.

11. Share an after-school memory from when you were younger. What was your routine like on an average day?

I walked home with my red book bag in one hand and my blue Peanuts lunch box in the other. Sometimes Mama gave me a Little Debbie cake when I got home. Swiss Rolls were my favorite. I always unrolled them as I ate them. After my snack, I watched The Flintstones and I Love Lucy re-runs.

What can I say? Life was hard.


12. True story: Once, in a job interview, I was asked this question and told there would be no clarifying; I simply had to answer the question: “When you’re fishing, do you feel for the fish?” So what about you? When you're fishing, do you feel for the fish??

Okay, Lid. You've got me stumped. All I can say is that I enjoy fishing and catching them, but not touching them. In the literal or figurative sense.


I also love eating them. Preferably grilled amberjack or fried grouper with some really good hushpuppies.



Thanks for the fun and fishy questions, Linda!

8 comments:

Betty W said...

We have a lot in common. I watched Roseanne too! :)

Greg C said...

#2 cracked me up. No it is never Hammer Time!!! I didn't know where you were from when I started reading this post but when I got to #12 and you listed amberjack as a food I knew you were a southern gal. I thought I was the only person who ate that. Grouper is one of my favorites but I just like fish in general.

Thena said...

You describe dressing the way I remember it. It is so good. But haven't ever had the nerve to try and make it. My Mom always made it but the last few years she's made it different but it's not the traditional cornbread dressing.

The Bug said...

Excellent answers - but I totally laughed out loud (thank goodness my boss is at lunch) about the fact that no time is hammer time. Ain't that the truth?

Amy said...

So I suppose you took the icing off the Little Debbie cupcakes too?? or pealed the layers of Nutty Bars and ate them separately?? People never understood why I did those things. I just needed my very special-once-in-a-blue-moon treat to last longer than 15 seconds!!

Loved your answers...you crack me up!!

Amy

Susanne said...

Occasionally watching Roseanne is a secret guilty indulgence for me too. Oops, guess it's not a secret anymore.

I wanna see a picture of you in the MC Hammer pants!

Carpool Queen said...

I have a Mary Engelbreit magnet on my refrigerator.

Snap. Out. Of. It.

Amen.

Karen said...

My sister-in-law, a true Georgia peach, bakes her cornbread with the onions and celery already in it. She says it's much easier to make the dressing that way.