Monday, September 20, 2010

Daniel-san, do not let jogging stroller intimidate you.

Right now I am surrounded by folded clothes, an ironing board, iron, and the delightful scents of ironing and pumpkin butter.  Hubs was ironing his clothes for work (hey, I ain't Martha Stewart) and watching FoxNews. I love the smell of ironing. And, no he didn't have a stain of pumpkin butter on his shirt. That smell came from the new candle I put out last night.

It's by Woodwick, called Trilogy, and I highly recommend it.  It starts out with pumpkin butter, then golden chestnut, and finishes with spiced toffee. So far the pumpkin butter has me hooked. I'll let you know about the rest.

I spent yesterday afternoon decorating the house for fall.  Never mind that it's 95 degrees outside.  I am ready for fall.  It was a cruel summer, like it was for Ralph Macchio and Elisabeth Shue before she went to Vegas and ruined her life.  (Oh, that's right.  That was another movie.)

I still have to get pumpkins and do something with our entryway.  Right now the front door has a sad, lonely wreath on it.  I hear it in the night crying, "Please find me some cute gourd friends to talk to.  I need to be accessorized!" 

I hear you, Hobby Lobby Half Off Wreath.  I hear you. 

On Saturday I participated in a 5K Walk/Run to benefit the Missing GRACE Foundation.  The foundation offers support to families who have lost a child through stillbirth, miscarriage, or early death.  A sweet friend of mine lost a child to stillbirth and I decided to walk in her son's honor. 

If you haven't already guessed, I was in the walking group. 

I don't run unless something is chasing me.  I've always wanted to be a runner.  Okay, I've always wanted to LOOK like a runner, which would be great except for all the, you know, running.  Runners are long and lean and they look like they can do anything, other than maybe lift a car or something, which is obviously something I can do.

Obviously.

Do you know what's more humbling than being in the walking group among runners?  Being in the walking group among runners who are pushing strollers.  Uphill.  Yes, there were people running and pushing their kids uphill both ways in the snow while I was only walking and wishing the blister on my heel would stop hurting already. 

This is where I start to mire in self-pity but we all know that isn't productive or good blog material, so instead I'll just tell you that I did manage to stay ahead of the walkers who were pushing strollers.  That was my goal. Forget times and paces and such..

The little engine had, "I think I can."

I chanted, "I am going to beat that nursing mom with twins, three dogs, and the huge stroller."

I take any inspiration I can get.

Where's Mr. Miyagi when you need him?

4 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I'm trying to embrace the Couch to 5K program that all my friends seem to be doing.

It may sound cool to be a runner but pumpkin butter sounds better to me, quite frankly.

Quirky said...

Don't let them fool you...all those running people were secretly leaning on their strollers to keep themselves upright. Like an old lady walker, only for the fit and mobile with young children. I say you get double points for holding yourself upright and doing the race without any assistance from Graco.

It's all in how you look at things. :-)

Roxanne said...

Cracked me up. Again.

Tari said...

I wished for a long time I could run, but now I've accepted walking as more my speed. I lift some of the weights at the Y sometimes, just to prove to myself that, even though I can't run 1/4 mile without gagging, I am strong. Or sort of strong, at least. :)