Monday, October 06, 2008

Fall Into Flavor: Mighty Good Cornbread

Linda is hosting Fall Into Flavor, a wonderful way for us to share our favorite comfort foods of the season.

When cold weather rolls in, I often head to the stove to make chili. One thing that always goes well with chili is cornbread.

This is my favorite cornbread recipe. I wish I could take credit for it, but it can be found in many Southern cookbooks. It is so easy and moist! YUM! And it tastes great crumbled in your favorite chili.



Mighty Good Cornbread

1 cup self-rising corn meal
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup veg. oil
1 8 oz. can cream style corn (I like Green Giant)
1 cup regular sour cream (do not use low fat or light)

Preheat oven to 425. Mix corn meal, eggs, oil and corn until well blended. Fold in sour cream until just mixed. Pour into greased, preheated iron skillet or in round baking pan. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

MMMMMMM. My mom tells me that true cornbreak is not sweet, like the Jiffy cornbread mix I use. And, she says it's supposed to be crumbly, not cakey, and to use a cast iron skillet, but that's like telling me I have to grow and harvest my own corn, too--ain't gonna happen. I'd like to try this as an alternative to my Jiffy. Thanks for doing this meme.