Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Works For Me: That's why they make soap.

Update: This post was meant to be an encouragement to those who are messy like me, not an insult to the organized and the tidy. :>) I hope you all will take it that way.

One thing I want my daughter to remember is that our home is her home, too. While we try to keep things neatly put away, I have never been the kind of mom who put the crayons in one box, the markers in another, and so on.

We even mix Play-Doh.

If you are starting to twitch a little, that's perfectly understandable. I would be twitching to think that I had to keep my art supplies segregated. We're all different.

I also don't freak out (too much) if she accidentally spills something or gets something on her clothes. I have told her that we try to keep things clean, but an accident is an accident. As long she doesn't make a mess on purpose, it is OK. (Painting or coloring the walls when you are two years old is obviously not an accident.)

We keep the house "clean." We teach her to respect people's property and to take care of what God has given us. I just don't mind if things get a little messy when we are having fun. The ceiling will not fall in if she gets a little mud on the floor.

Whenever something spills or gets on her clothes, I have always said, "That's why they make soap," to reassure her that mom is not angry or disappointed.

A stain on the carpet is just one small thing when compared to all of the other trials we face as parents.

Now, if they could just make some special soap to help them clean their rooms. :>)

Visit Shannon for more parenting tips.

8 comments:

ellen b. said...

Good advice. I love your blog presentation. blessings...
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

tammi said...

I had to laugh when you said 'we even mix play-doh.' Around here, the colours stay separate only as long as the packages remain unopened! You and I are obviously very much on the same wave-length. It's good to know I'm not alone!!!

penguinsandladybugs said...

I love it! I am just like you! No twitching at all...but I know folks who would!

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

I guess you won't like hearing that I spent the majority of Tuesday cleaning my darling son's room. Most of that was organizing toys by type into bins. Oh, and secreting out stuff he doesn't need anymore.

T with Honey said...

Honey soooo tweaks at the play-doh mixing. And for spills we have the dogs and a carpet steamer.

But if you find that special soap make sure and let the rest of us in on the secret!

B said...

I'm like you.....I got dirty and I played in the mud, kids need to be able to be kids as long as possible today!

Kelli said...

I learned very early on ... "YOu can always wash your hands" ...

Amen to that!

Anonymous said...

Great advice! Thanks! Funny too!
Blessings!
Suzi