Saturday, June 23, 2007

Thank you, Mr. Inventor of Sprinkles

You are my hero.

So the birthday party was a success. I'm no expert in the matter, but no one got hurt, no one fell into the lake out back, no one was bitten by a venomous snake, and only two kids cried. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a throw down to me.

And speaking of which...

I interrupt this post to make an announcement. I just checked my site meter and I've noticed that I have a lot of readers from Texas. I have one thing to say- Don't mess with Texas. Thanks, y'all, from the Yellow Rose State, for stopping in here from time to time.

Now on to other pertinent things like foam craft thingies and sprinkles. You just can never go wrong with sprinkles. I have many varieties in my cupboard because I have become the Cupcake Mama. I have pink sugar, red sugar, flowers, dots, stars, orange beads, blue beads, yellow beads... Should I go on?

I also love the guy who invented foam crafts. He is a genius. Or maybe it is a She. I don't know. Anyone who can combine cheapness with stickers and eliminate the need for messy glue, to me, deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.

But then what would Jimmy Carter do with his?

The girls made hula skirts with craft foam. Two very sweet and helpful (not "chatty and in-the-way") moms stayed for the party. They pitched right in and helped with refreshments and the various foam craft thingies. Hubs was here, too. He is always the Life of the Part-ay. Kids love him.

It turned out to be a fun party without any lawsuits. TEE HEE

I have to share a great punch recipe with y'all. I had planned to make Linda's punch, but at the last minute I decided to make strawberry lemonade. It is my daughter's favorite drink and I found a very easy recipe on the All Knowing Internet. (Thanks, Al.)

Here is the recipe. Go ahead and make some for your family. It has more of a lemonade taste than a punch taste. You could have it with lunch one day for a treat with the kids. And look out how little sugar is added!

Strawberry Lemonade Punch (Food Network)

2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen strawberries, thawed
5 cups cold water
2 (6-ounce) cans frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed

Combine the boiling water and sugar in a large container and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Let the sugar mixture stand for 5 minutes. Add the strawberries, stirring well. Using a big spoon, press the strawberry mixture through a large strainer (I used a colander) into a pitcher or punch bowl until nothing is left in the strainer except for the strawberry pulp. Discard the pulp. Stir in the cold water and lemonade. Mix until well blended. Makes almost a gallon.

Side note- I didn't mind some of the strawberry pulp in the lemonade. Some of it strained through and I just left it. It tasted fine. This drink has more of a tart taste than you would expect. It was very good. The kids liked it, too.

4 comments:

Susanne said...

Sounds like fun was had by all including yourself. I always found the home parties stressed me out to the max. Mind you all my kids birthdays are in the dead of winter so we couldn't go out of the house. That might have had a little to do with it. Hmmm.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Ah yes, the birthday parties. Make the most of them, Melanie. Not that every one of them has to be a blow-out, but just savor the day.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Greetings from Abilene, Texas! By way of Birmingham, Alabama.... The interesting thing is lots of Southerners came out here "back in the day" and settled Texas. East Texas looks alot like Georgia and Alabama. They call it the Piney Woods. Now, Abilene is completely different and I love it!


Isn't it nice to have friends that help to make the party work? I had a few stay and do the same thing - sweet girls, I tell ya.

Roxanne said...

Yes, the creator of the sprinkle will have a cupcake shaped star in his/her crown in heaven. I'm convinced.