Thursday, July 06, 2006

Eureka!

It is 1:06 AM and I am wiiiiiiiide awake. It may have something to do with the venti caramel macchiato I had after dinner, but anyhoo.

Most of the time, venti or no venti, I am a night owl. My most creative moments are at 2:00 AM. My most productive house cleaning is after midnight. And, all of the epiphanies of my life have occurred after everyone else is asleep.

I absolutely hate mornings. No, really. I don't want to hold back. I really do hate them. Coffee just doesn't do the trick. Diet Coke won't work either. I realize that if I were sleeping at the wee hours of the morning instead of blogging, hot gluing, or solving world hunger, that I may actually feel rested during the day.

I have been this way since childhood- all but the coffee and the Diet Coke part. Mama always had a hard time waking me up. Even the smell of fried bologna and grits cooking wouldn't work.

So, tonight, during one of my epiphanies, I realized something.

Ya'll, I am a possum.

Think about it. I am tired during the day. And at night, during my most wakeful moments, I am foraging for food in the frig. ( ice cream, leftover potato salad...) At first I thought that I may be a raccoon. But, the circles around my eyes are dark, not white. And, I think having a prehensile tail would be pretty cool.

It could be worse. I could wake up in Kafka's The Metamorphosis and then get stepped on by a big shoe...

4 comments:

Sister said...

We're kindred spirits...just ask BooMama. :)

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

We had this conversation after dinner last night. I told hubby that I am nocturnal and that there isn't a name for what he is. It's the equivalent of an omnivore in the whole day/night realm. (Okay, I realize I didn't really pull off that analogy.) Basically, he prefers sleep to being awake. These days he needs the sleep, he is working a terrible (3:30am-2pm) shift, but he has always liked waking late, napping and going to bed at a decent hour (10pm). I prefer 2 am, but try to make it before the digits move from four to three on my clock, for sanity's sake.

Susanne said...

That's totally me! and totally not my hubby! So it's a juggling act around here sometimes. Haven't house cleaned late at night though! :)

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

It is 10:13 AM and I am still sipping Diet Coke. Already had my coffee. I think I may switch to that Red Bull- but it looks sooo much like a can of cheap beer to me. And I don't drink. But if I did, it wouldn't be cheap beer.