Saturday, July 15, 2006

Pregnant and Clueless

Today I attended a baby shower. This is the mom-to-be's first baby, so you know everybody is just giddy with excitement. And the poor mom-to-be, well she is just clueless. Bless her heart. She has no idea what is ahead.

Ahhh... the good ole days.

Before I had my daughter, I was a little anxious, but I was fairly confident that her room would stay neat and her clothes pressed and adorable. I also was pretty confident that I was going to return to my pre-baby weight. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, girls.

I could just picture my baby's room in sherbet lime and buttery yellow, bunnies dancing above her head, the scent of Baby Magic filled the room, and Pottery Barn baskets organized it all. HA!
Then, reality kicks in and you find out that the only time everything is perfect is either on TV or in Parent magazine, or in Pottery Barn catalogue.

Once you find out that it is perfectly ok not to be perfect, you can just enjoy being a mom. You can make it through the sleepless nights of ear infections, coughs, teething, and whatever that thing was wrong that night that you couldn't figure out!

Spit up comes out of clothes. And carpet. And car seats. And out of your hair. And maybe even out of the cat's hair. Boo-boo's heal and teeth do finally come in. A toy- or two- or three in the floor is ok. Dishes in the sink can wait while you play. Life is living.

I just wish someone would have given me this at my baby shower- a big box of reality, and a card attached that read...


"Dear Mom-to-Be,

Congratulations on having a precious baby! I am here to tell you that there will be days when you question your mothering choices and have no clue of the choice to make. It is ok. It is going to be ok. No mom is perfect. That is why you have The Lord to comfort you and His Book to guide you. Don't buy into what the world has to offer you as a mom. Only God knows best. He gave you your precious child. Surely He will help you care for her.

Love, A Mom Who Has Been There


PS- The diaper genie is the most wonderful invention evah!"


Then again, for new moms, the "clueless" time is so short. Maybe we should just let them enjoy it while they can.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Love, love, love this post! And I'm sure many a new mom, if she finds this, will love it even more since she's in the "rude awakening" stage!

Anyway, I enjoy your blog so much and I'll be back! :)

Susanne said...

Very cute and oh, so true! Looking back now I giggle as I think of the perfection thoughts I had. Ah, kids they do keep you grounded! :)