Wednesday, July 05, 2006

When in Savannah, don't turn left.

I was talking to Mama on the phone today and she reminded me of a vacation we took with my grandparents and my Aunt Barbara. Going on vacation with your extended family is always an adventure, but going on vacation with your grandparents is, well, subject for a blog.

Mama decided to plan a trip to Savannah. My grandfather (PaPa) had worked as a pulp wood truck driver years back and, according to him, he knew the way to every town in Georgia and the surrounding states. So, Mama trusted PaPa to get us there. It wasn't like we were traveling cross country. Our trip originated in the state of Georgia. And, my mama did know how to read a map. But, PaPa was confident and proud that he could get us there using the pulp wood truck driver top secret route.

Somewhere between the Okefenokee Swamp and Savannah, we entered into a road construction area. This was in the '70's, long before cell phones and high tech gadgets. So, if you approached a one way road with construction, and you were the last car, you were actually given a red flag or cloth to hand to the worker at the other end. This is how the worker knew to open up the one way lane to traffic traveling the other direction. (Are you followin' me, here?) So, we were the last car. My Aunt Barbara was sitting in the back with her window down. When we stopped, the construction worker handed her the red flag. Aunt Barbara, being the well traveled person that she was, asked, "What am I supposed to do with this thing?!" After explaining the workings of a construction zone, and laughing hysterically, Mama drove on, following PaPa's directions.

Just as we approached the outskirts of Savannah, PaPa told Mama to turn left. Mama was sure that Savannah was to the right, but PaPa insisted she turn left. So, she turned left. Now, Granny, Aunt Barbara, and I were in the back seat of the brown Chevrolet Caprice Classic ( I think the Classic really makes it stylish, don't you?) and we were all headed left, or North, as directions go. But, Savannah was to our South. So, Mama just drove and drove. I can remember passing some old run down trailer park out in the woods. Eventually, before we arrived in Charleston, Mama turned around, headed South, which would have been to the right, and right (as in correct), and we finally made it to Savannah.

After we arrived, Mama and Aunt Barbara wanted to tour some of the old historic homes. My grandparents thought this was the silliest thing they had ever heard!

"Well, I never heard of such! I shore ain't payin' $3.00 to see somebody's old house," they protested. So Granny and PaPa sat on a bench in the park while Mama, Aunt Barbara and I paid $6.00 to see somebody's old house (I think kids were free.) When I saw Forrest Gump, I actually recognized that bench. No kidding.

I still don't know why my grandparents went to Savannah. I mean, that's the reason you go to Savannah- to see somebody's old house, or somebody's old stuff, or somebody's old grave. Other than that, there really isn't anything to do. Paula wasn't around back then.

So, when in Savannah, don't turn left. That's the rule in our family. Oh, and you don't have to worry about getting the red flag. They have walkie talkies now.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

I'll remember that rule if I ever visit Savannah! Cute post and fun memory of your grandparents.

Brenda said...

I wanna go to Savannah. I have a cousin who lives near there, and I've been in Georgia two years now and haven't seen Savannah yet.

Loved this post.