Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Remembering to be thankful

Today we went out to do some errands, paid 20 bucks for a half gallon of gas, and tried to endure the heat. It is SOOOO HOOOOTTT! And, we need some rain. I joked with my husband that it was like we were returning to the days of Noah. When it finally does rain, people will say,"What's this stuff? You mean water actually falls from the sky? Well, I never."

And then there is everything that is happening in the Middle East right now. Some days it all just overwhelms me. I try to listen to the latest news, but turn the radio station when they talk about mass bombings and death. We can't protect our children from everything. But, I really don't see the need of my little one knowing all the wrongs of the world- not yet.

I was cooking dinner and Twila Paris' great voice was singing on the radio "God Is In Control." I love that song. No matter what kind of day I am having, that song always lifts my spirits. And, truly, He is in control. I don't always understand what is happening or why he allows tragedy. But, I do know He is sovereign. and I take comfort in that.

And I really think that God has a sense of humor. Because when we came home, I promised my daughter that we would fry eggs on the sidewalk. She thought I was joking. But, I was serious. The egg didn't sizzle, but it did cook. So, we had a little entertainment and a science lesson all in one. And, I think God probably smiled down at us. He may have been pleased that we were taking the heat in stride, just being silly together.

I know that drought and high gas prices are little problems in the grand scheme of things. After all, there are wars going on as I type this post. What an insignificant activity, blogging, while soldiers die for my freedom. It is quiet outside my house, free of the horrible sounds of bombs, because of the courage of people I'll never know.

And I am thankful. And tomorrow I don't think I'll complain about the heat, or lack of rain, or even the price of gas. We'll still take some time to be silly. But, I'll strive a little harder to remember the really important problems in the world.

3 comments:

Susanne said...

So true! And I love that you literally fried an egg on the walk with your daughter. She'll remember that forever!

Susanne said...

BTW, I didn't see an e-mail but to let you know I added you to my blog list if that's ok. If not just drop me a note.

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

That is so wild and fun about the egg. I'm sure D. will want to try it here too. So hot. And the AC is out in our church activities building, during VBS. (I really only heard adults complain...I'm in the kitchen, which is actually cool.)